Need or want something we don't have? Request it!

Celebrating the Southside

  • Main Street Streetcar 1904

    Crowded streetcar on Main Street - 1904

    What we now enjoy as Main Street on the Southside was formerly called Montgomery Avenue. This photo from 1904 shows a bustling avenue with men running toward an already crowded streetcar. The Loomis & Hart Lumber Company can be seen in the background. The photo is from the Paul A. Hiener Collection housed in our Local History and Genealogy Department at the Downtown branch. 

  • Montgomery Avenue - 1905

    Montgomery Avenue - 1905

    Montgomery Avenue (now Main Street) looking west from Rossville Avenue. The urban center in 1905 was home to many thriving locally grown businesses including Doctors C. H. Gurney and J. E. Green's office, L. A. Price saloon, Varnell Hardware Company, Dr. E. P. Gould's office, Cameron and Barr Steam Bakery and Meat Market, and Mitchell House (boarding house) all on left. P. P. Coleman watchmaker, H. C. Templar grocer, Laferry and Trotter Horse shoers, Chattanooga Distillery Company, Montgomery Avenue Furniture and Hamilton Buggy and Implement Company on right. The photograph is from the library's Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Main Street Firefighters 1885

    Firefighters with child - 1885

    Thirteen unidentified firefighters with a child at 26 Montgomery Avenue (later Main Street). This photograph from 1885 is from one volume of eight scrapbooks compiled by E. Y. Chapin, Walter Cline and Frank F. Stoops of the Chattanooga Half Century Club.

  • Golden Age of Chivalry - 1903

    Golden Age of Chivalry - 1903

    The festive sprit of Chattanooga's Southside goes way back. In 1903 the Barnum and Bailey Circus Parade literally came through town. Here is a shot of the Golden Age of Chivalry float on Rossville Avenue at Read Street on October 13, 1903. The church in the background is St. James Methodist Episcopal Church. The building on the right is the Stanton House. This photograph is a part of the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection housed in the Local History and Genealogy Department at the Downtown branch.

  • Market Street and Main Street 1926

    Market & Main - 1926

    This is the corner of Market and Main Street (formerly Montgomery Avenue) before Market Street extended beyond Main Street. Businesses pictured include Stong Brothers druggists, Brody Brothers Loan Office and Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. "Market Street and Main Intersection, South Chattanooga" is written on the bottom left corner of the original photo which can be found in the Chattanooga Half Century Club's scrapbooks held in our Local History department's archives. The scrapbooks were compiled by E. Y. Chapin, Walter Cline and Frank F. Stoops of the Chattanooga Half Century Club.​

  • Hamilton Trust & Savings Bank - 1910

    Hamilton Trust & Savings Bank - 1910

    The Hamilton Trust and Savings Bank was located on the busy corner of Market and Main Streets. This shot from 1910 is looking east up Main Street. The bank was established in 1889 and merged with Hamilton National Bank in 1929. They declared bankruptcy in 1976, and were taken over by First Tennessee Bank. In this photograph from the Paul A. Hiener Collection you can also see Koon's and Sane Novelty Shop across the street as well as horses and wagons on Main Street.  

     

     

     

  • Auto Electric and Magneto Co. - 1956

    Auto Electric and Magneto Co. - 1956

    The Auto Electric and Magneto Company provided automobile, electrical, generator and starter ignition service. In 1956 they were located at 1410 Cowart Street and remained in that location until 1995. The company was previously located at 522 Broad Street from 1935-1955. 

  • General Lee Hotel - 1955

    General Lee Hotel - 1955

    The General Lee Hotel was located at 227 W. Main Street at Cowart Street from 1955-1958. The building became the home of McLaughlin Upholstery but burned down in 1977. The Esso station across the street can be seen in this 1955 photograph from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • National Biscuit Company - 1924

    National Biscuit Company - 1924

    The National Biscuit Company was located at 1406 Cowart Street from 1924-1965. Other locations included 314 Carter Street (1909-1917), 1417 Market Street (1918-1923), and 3935 Volunteer Drive (1966-1971). The original photograph can be found in the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection housed in the Local History and Genealogy Department. The collection includes nearly 3000 images that have been digitized and are searchable in the Library's online catalog. 

  • Lessly Produce Co. - 1954

    Lessly Produce Co. - 1954

    The Lessly Produce Co​mpany was a wholesale produce distributer located at 1301 Cowart Street from 1913 to 1968. The photo is part of the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Radio & Electronic Service Co. - 1950

    Radio & Electronic Service Co. - 1950

    The Radio & Electronic Service Co​mpany was a radio and electronics repair business run by Robert D. Strauss. They were located at 1218 Cowart Street from 1943-1960. Before 1943 it was known as Radio & Sound Service. A decade after this photograph was taken, the business moved to 2451 Broad Street (1961-1962). From the Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Miller-Mitchell Department Store - 1907

    Miller-Mitchell Department Store - 1907

    The Miller-Mitchell Department Store was located on the northwest corner of Market Street and Montgomery Avenue (now Main Street) from 1907-1918. The building appears to be fire damaged in this photo from 1907. You can also see George K. Brown Candies. From the Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • George W. Edwards, Grocer - 1906

    George W. Edwards, Grocer - 1906

    George W. Edwards established the George W. Edwards grocery store in 1903 at 252 E. Montgomery Avenue (later Main Street)  The grocer remained in business at that location until 1911. People identified in this photograph from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection​ are, from left to right, Mr. Richards, clerk, Geo. W. Edwards, proprietor, Samuel B. Jackson, clerk, "Uncle Mart" Garratt, Thomas P. Huffine, clerk. One of the two remaining men is identified as Roy Carroll, driver. The young boy is unidentified. 

  • Jones Printing and Lithographing Co. - 1964

    Jones Printing and Lithographing Co. - 1964

    The Thomas H. Jones Printing and Lithographing company was located at 223 W. Main Street from 1959-1967. Other locations included: 2321 Holtzclaw from 1949-1952, 312 W. Main from 1953-1958, 336-38 Chestnut from 1968-1977, 1308 E. Main from 1978-1981, and at 1907 Crutchfield Street from 1982-1997. From the Paul A. Hiener Collection

  • Chattanooga Steam Laundry - 1955

    Chattanooga Steam Laundry - 1955

    The Chattanooga Steam Laundry company was located at 63 W. Main Street from 1907-1962. Their previous location was 121 E. Montgomery Avenue (now Main Street) from 1894-1906. From the Paul A. Hiener Collection. Photographs in the Hiener archive at the library were collected by Hiener prior to his death in 1984, and donated in 1985 by his daughter, Minette (Mrs. Earl A.) Millwood. Many of these photographs were used in the 4 volume pictorial work entitled, Chattanooga Yesterday and Today, published from 1951 to 1964.  The collection also includes post-1964 images intended for a 5th volume that was never published.

     
  • Dacus Furniture Company - 1945

    Dacus Furniture Company - 1945

    The Dacus Furniture store was located at 37-39 Main Street from 1943-1962. Other locations included 108 E. Main Street (1936-1942), 3021 Broad Street (1963-1967; 1973), 2601 Broad Street (1968-1972), 2622 Broad Street (1974-1985), 45-47 E. Main Street (1986-1995), 2422 Hickory Street, South (1996-1997). The store also was called Dacus Furniture and Antiques. From the Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Richmond Tire Company - 1957

    Richmond Tire Company - 1957

    The Richmond Tire company was located at 325 E. Main Street from 1955-1957. The company moved to 719 E. 11th Street in 1958.  This photograph taken a year before they left the E. Main location is from the Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • E. M. Barber Furniture Company  - 1951

    E. M. Barber Furniture Company - 1951

    The E.M. Barber Furniture Company store was located at 47-49 E. Main Street from 1938-1981.  For a brief period between 1931-1937 before the store moved to Main Street they were known as the E. M. Barber Supply Company.  The photo is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Stong Bros Drug Store - 1953

    Stong Brothers Drug Store - 1953

    The Stong Brothers Drug Store was located at 48 E. Main Street from 1931-1957. Previously the store was located at 222 E. Montgomery Avenue (now Main Street) from 1888-1892, and then at 2224 E. Main Street from 1894-1929.  This photo from 1953 is from the library's Paul A. Hiener Collection and was published in Chattanooga Yesterday and Today, vol. 2, p. 94.

  • Jacoway's Mens Store - 1950

    Jacoway's Mens Store - 1950

    Jacoway's Men's Store was located at 20 E. Main Street from 1941-1966. This photograph from 1950 is from the Library's  Paul A. Hiener Collection and was also published in Chattanooga Yesterday and Today, vol. 2, p. 94.

  • Hatfield and Keef Furniture - 1956

    Hatfield & Keef Furniture - 1956

    The Hatfield and Keef Furniture Store was owned by Thomas H. Keef and John C. Hatfield. The business was located at 55 E. Main Street from 1949-1976. They were also located at 263 E. Main from 1927-1930, and at 51 E. Main Street from 1931-1948. This photo from 1956 is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection.

  • Easy Furniture Company - 1950

    Easy Furniture Company - 1950

    Next to Hatfield and Keef was the Easy Furniture Company at 51 Main Street. They remained in this location from 1950 to 1959. This early image from 1950 is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection.

  • World Sales Company - 1957

    World Sales Company - 1957

    The World Sales Company was a wholesale distributor of novelties, notions and souvenirs . Their eclectic store was located at 61 E. Main Street from 1957-1972. This early photograph from 1957 is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection.

  • Seed-Feed Supply Co. 1949

    Seed-Feed Supply Co. - 1949

    The Seed-Feed Supply Co​mpany was located at 35-47 W. Main Street from 1934 to 1965. This 1949 photograph is part of the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection and was published in Chattanooga Yesterday and Today, vol.2, p.95. 

  • Powell Mattress Co. - 1940

    Powell Mattress Co. - 1940

    The Powell Mattress Company was a manufacturer of box springs and mattresses run by W. I. Powell. Their operation was located at 615-617 E. Main Street from 1937-1961. Other locations included 350 E. Main Street (1928-1930), 310 E. Main Street (1931-1936), 2609 E. Main Street (1962), 2714 Rossville Boulevard (1963) and 2701-03 E. 44th Street (1964-1965). This 1940 photograph is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection and was also published in Chattanooga Yesterday and Today, vol. 2, p. 93.

  • Howard Furniture Company 1949

    Howard Furniture Company 1949

    The Howard Furniture Company furniture store had two Main Street locations. In 1948 they opened shop in a storefront at 55 E. Main Street. In 1949 they moved into the location pictured here at 25 E. Main Street and remained in opertation there until 1962. This photograph from 1949 is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Central Tire Co - 1960

    Central Tire Co - 1960

    The Central Tire Company was located at 301 E. Main Street from 1949-1990. The company also had a location at 2314 E. Main Street from 1946-1948. This 1960 photograph is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection. 

  • Armour and Company - 1950

    Armour and Company - 1950

    The Armour & Company meat packing plant was located at 1400-4 Cowart Street from 1912 to 1957 and 1959 to 1979. Originally they were located a few blocks away at 200 Carter Street from 1904 to 1911.​ This photograph from 1950 is from the Library's Paul A. Hiener Collection.

Comments

Submitted by Now (not verified) on

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site? My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks!
Now http://www.challengeit.co.uk/images/boyBLP378.php?Nike-Air-Max-LTD-5-Run...

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Twitter-style #hashtags are linked to https://twitter.com.
  • Twitter-style @usernames are linked to their Twitter account pages.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Incorrect please try again
Enter the words above: Enter the words you hear: